Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Bath Time!


Today we read one of Maya's new Christmas books, Bath Time!, by Sandra Boynton. Actually we read this one two or three times each bath. It's plastic, of course, so you can read it in the tub. There are only eight pages, but the rhyme is sing-songy enough (as are all Boynton's books) that you cannot help but start a melody. Don't forget to make the sounds "Quack, Quack", "Booo, Booo" (for the boat), and "Squeak, Squeak" at the appropriate times. There is a squeaker embedded in the book to help with the last one. Maya can't make the squeakers work yet, but she can slap the book on the water and make a mighty splash (Baths are a bit messier now).

Maya loves Bath Time!. Why? Because Maya loves baths. The only thing she doesn't like about taking a bath is getting out. Songs and rhymes always help us out in uncomfortable situations (i.e. getting in the car seat). Here's a good one for drying off:

AFTER MY BATH

AFTER MY BATH,
I TRY, TRY, TRY,
TO WIPE MYSELF
‘TILL I’M DRY, DRY, DRY.
HANDS TO WIPE,
AND FINGERS, AND TOES,
AND TWO WET LEGS
AND A SHINY NOSE.
JUST THINK,
HOW MUCH LESS TIME I’D TAKE,
IF I WERE A DOG, AND COULD
SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE

I got this from the ELSIE database from the Minneapolis Public Library. It's a database of recommended books, songs, etc. from the librarians there. I'll be adding to it as part of the internship I start tomorrow, so you may see my name somewhere down the road. Here's the link: http://www.mpls.lib.mn.us/elsie.asp

Happy bathing and see you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Benson Family said...

Great Larry, I look forward to reading you posts everyday....Congrats on your New Job tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you...(as I attend and lead story hour tomorrow in NH) Much love to you Patty and Maya.