Saturday, January 5, 2008

The Little Engine That Could


Here's another classic story that never gets old. Sari suggested it. The Little Engine That Could, by Watty Piper, was published in 1930. I have a 1990 edition. The note in the back says everything is original. That's amazing. Many wonderful books from that time are black and white or three-tone, but the colorful illustrations in this edition are so vibrant.

The text is wonderful. The words are repeated creating sounds to mimic what is going on: "I think I can-I think I can". Read it like you're the train and maybe the next time your little one hears a train going down the tracks, they'll hear these words. Other words are repeated, too, such as "Puff, puff, chug, chug" and "Up, up, up. Faster and faster and faster." Don't read too quickly over these opportunities to build suspense.

No comments: