Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A Book of Hugs


Hmm...two hug books in a row. Could have been a double issue.

Maya picked out some of her own board books at the library today while I was perusing picture books. Actually she picked out all of the board books, and I hung onto a couple while I was putting them back.

A Book of Hugs, by Dave Ross and illustrated by Laura Rader, is a primer on hugs. Different types of hugs are identified ("Brother Hugs - Usually called a Buddy Hug"), and sometimes additional words of wisdom are imparted ("Note: A circle of Buddy Huggers is called a huddle."). There are Mommy Hugs, Daddy Hugs, Tree Hugs, Hurt Hugs, and Good Night Hugs.

In the end we are told, "All hugs are wonderful, but the best hugs of all are...I-Love-You Hugs."

The illustrations are of animals playing all of the roles described in the text. I especially like the big elephant daddy.

I don't know if hug books qualifies as a genre, but I sure am enjoying them lately. I hope you are, too.

No comments: